Saturday, September 16

It's been a rough couple of hours. The bike slipped on some mud by the campsite last night while I was parking it, and by the time I got it back up there was no light. Then it wouldn't start - the carbs were flooded - but I wasn't sure if it was just that or worse. For the first time on the trip, it was frightening to be so alone. I eventually got the bike started, and with the headlight was able to get my stove going, to make some dinner. Then I spilled hot cocoa in my tent, and getting that cleaned up was quite a mess. Hoping there were no bears around, I eventually got to sleep.
The morning was nice, I continued north on route 124, until I pulled over at a junction to check my map, slid on some gravel and went down again. A guy named Jake rode by on a golf cart and helped me get it back up. (Luckily the carbs didn't flood that time.) But I discovered as I put the bags back on, that one of the nalgenes hadn't been closed properly, and my backpack (with my laptop) was soaking wet. It turned on, so I thought it was ok...then I got to a rest stop off route 33 (where I am now) and it wouldn't boot up, telling me there was no hard drive. So I pulled out my screwdriver and proceeded to dismantle the entire machine, let it air out, and then it finally worked. Fingers crossed that it'll stay working...
I'm headed to Athens, OH. My phone battery is dead and one of my laptop batteries is about to die, so I'll try to find a place there to charge up. Then I'll see how much further I want to ride today. A cold beer and a warm bed would be nice tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home